Friday, April 12, 2024
HomeSportsWimbledon Fan Sues ‘Reckless’ Kyrgios After Being Accused Of Having ‘700 Drinks’

Wimbledon Fan Sues ‘Reckless’ Kyrgios After Being Accused Of Having ‘700 Drinks’

A tennis fan who Nick Kyrgios accused of having “700 drinks” during the Wimbledon final is to take legal action against him, her lawyers have said.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Anna Palus said the Australian tennis star had defamed her by making “a reckless and entirely baseless allegation”.

“Not only did this cause considerable harm on the day, resulting in my temporary removal from the arena, but Mr Kyrgios’s false allegation was broadcast to, and read by, millions around the world, causing me and my family very substantial damage and distress,” she said.

Ms Palus has instructed her solicitors, Brett Wilson LLP, to start legal proceedings against Mr Krygios if he does not offer “a prompt resolution to this matter”.

She added that she will donate any damages she wins to charity.

During the final that he eventually lost to Novak Djokovic, Kyrgios flew into a rage halfway through the third set, saying he had been disrupted by noise made by the crowd.

“We’re in a Wimbledon final. It’s nearly cost me the game,” he complained to the umpire.
The official responded that it was impossible to determine who was responsible for the noise.

“I know exactly which one it is. It’s the one who’s had like 700 drinks,” Krygios replied.

Ms Palus, who attended the game with her mother, was escorted out of the stands, before being allowed back to her seat.

The Polish lawyer later told The Sun that she had only wanted to show her support for Krygios.

“He always says the crowd is against him, and I wanted to show we were for him, I wanted to encourage him,” she said.

“Maybe I took it too far… but I only had good intentions,” Ms Palus added. “I only had one Pimm’s and one rosé. It’s the temperature for me, I had no hat. I’m really sorry.”

As well as Ms Palus’s potential case in Britain, the Australian tennis star also faces legal proceedings back home, which could carry a maximum of two years in prison.

He did not appear this week in an Australian court when a charge of common assault was listed against him for the first time.

The case, which relates to his alleged treatment of his former girfriend, Chiara Passari, has been adjourned until 4 October.

Kyrgios, who was under no legal obligation to attend the Australian Capital Territory Magistrates Court, was represented by his lawyer Michael Kukulies-Smith.

The 27-year-old was charged by police in July, while he was playing at Wimbledon.

The Australian tennis player cut a frustrated figure for most of the final as Djokovic fought back from one set down to win his seventh Wimbledon title and 21st major trophy.

Krygios is currently in the United States preparing for next week’s US Open.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Latest Post