Will Smith has been banned from attending the Oscars for the next 10 years after he slapped comedian Chris Rock on stage, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said on Friday.
Africanewseye.com reports that Smith is also not permitted to attend any other events held by Hollywood’s top film group over the next decade.
However, the board did not decide to revoke the best actor Oscar he won last month for “King Richard.”
“The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually. “
“Including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” said president David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson in a letter.
Speaking in a statement given to PA after the news was made public, Will said: “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.”
An investigation into his actions was launched after the star-studded ceremony last month.
The decision was reportedly made during a Board of Governors meeting held earlier in the day in Los Angeles.
The meeting had originally been planned to take place on April 18, but was brought forward after the actor resigned from the Academy last week.
It was previously believed that the star’s resignation would not prevent the actor from being nominated for future awards.
“The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community. Who did incredible work this past year. However, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behaviour we saw Mr Smith exhibit on stage.”
“During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world. And we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.”
“Today, the Board of Governors convened a meeting to discuss how best to respond to Will Smith’s actions at the Oscars, in addition to accepting his resignation. The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8 2022, Mr Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.”
Comedian Chris is yet to publicly address the slap. Shutting down hecklers at comedy shows on multiple occasions since.
Chris may not be ready to discuss the assault, but the star’s brother has been keen to offer his opinion on the matter.
Previously stating he would like to see the actor’s Best Actor honour revoked by The Academy.
“Every time I’m watching the videos, it’s like a rendition that just keeps going over and over in my head,” Kenny Rock told the Los Angeles Times earlier this week.